- Attend the annual conference — September 9-12, 2019 in Estes Park, Colorado and Rocky Mountain National Park.
- Participate in our annual contest — this year’s deadline is June 10, 2019.
- Take a photo workshop — June 16-19, 2019 in Rocky Mountain National Park, Estes Park, Colorado.
- Apply for our scholarship — deadline May 30 each year.
- Meet some of our members — see what we’re up to.
We need your inspiration, participation, and support. YOU are the organization!
By Peter Kummerfeldt
A number of you have expressed concerns regarding the impact of the altitude when you travel to Estes Park later this year. The town sits at 7500 feet above sea level and should you wish to explore Rocky Mountain National Park you could find yourself on Trail Ridge Road crossing the Rocky Mountain divide at over 12,000 feet. The air gets a lot “thinner” up there! Not to worry – you can still attend the conference and have an enjoyable time if you attend to a couple of suggestions from those of us that live here.(more…)
by Ian King
You’re headed due north on the high desert floor, flat as a pancake, the endless sagebrush passing by as if part of the background scenery in an endlessly looping cartoon strip. It’s not just “desert dry” here in the high mountains; there’s been a severe drought out this way recently, adding insult to injury, or for some species, for some flora, it’s led to a new opportunity amongst the survival of the fittest, as the least well-adapted drop by the wayside, fodder for nature’s Grim Reaper. It looks very much like death stalks the land, but there’s life—stubborn, defiant life, no matter how dormant or slow-moving or desiccated it may appear to the untutored eye. New life, new growth, awaits hidden behind scaly bark or buried in the sand deep enough to find succor in the surprising dampness the water table, seeping close to the surface, still providentially offers up.(more…)