In 1991 Rocky Mountain Outdoor Writers and Photographers decided to honor two of its founding members, Joe McKenna and J.B. Scott, by establishing a scholarship in their names. The scholarship was awarded annually to a full-time student either already attending or about to enter college, who demonstrated a career interest in the outdoors.
By 2019 the board felt that the scholarship had become more burdensome than useful, and reluctantly decided to close it down.
Scholarship Recipients 1992 – 2009
- 1992 – Julie Huff, $500, Buena Vista, CO
- 1993 – Colin Bain, $1000, Lakewood, CO
- 1994 – Colin Bain, $100, Lakewood, CO, Rebecca Lofton, $500, Montrose, CO, and Erica Lewis, $500, Telluride, CO
- 1995 – Bonnie Allen, $1000, Midlothian, TX
- 1996 – Steven Bromby, $250, Denver, CO
- 1997 – Steven Bromby, $250, Denver, CO and Gwendolyn Wray, $750
- 1998 – Steven Bromby, $1000, Denver, CO
- 1999 – Craig Springer, $500, NM
- 2000 – Erin Lynn Gee, $500, Pittsburgh, PA
- 2001 – Bryant J. Kuechle, $1000
- 2002 – Nancy Cook, 2002, $1000
- 2004 – Frank Hamrick, $500, Athens, GA and Shane Brown, $1000, Leonard, OK
- 2005 – Jessica Wolf, $1000, Nipoma, CA
- 2006 – Shanna Boyett, $1000, Stillwater, OK
- 2007 – Julie Sackman, Stillwater, OK
- 2008 – Kelli Edwards, $1000, Bryan, TX, Kasey Muth, $500, Lubbock, TX and Hunter Nichols, $500, Birmingham, AL
- 2009 – Lauren A. Swisher, $1500, Henrico, VA
Scholarship Recipients 2010 – 2019
Robby Fisher Jr., of Olmito, Texas, is the recipient of this year’s Rocky Mountain Outdoor Writers & Photographers scholarship, according to scholarship chair Clare Gutierrez. Robby will be attending Schreiner University’s First Year Campus in Brownsville, Texas and then transferring to the school’s main campus in Kerrville, Texas.(more…)
RMOWP’s 2018 scholarship winner is Patricia Umbricht of Buffalo Grove, Illinois. After years in retail, Patricia returned to school, struggling through a junior college. She is now attending Lees-McRae College, pursuing a degree in wildlife biology, and maintaining stellar grades. Her interests include hiking, taking close-up photos of flowers, and, of course, wildlife.
This year’s $2,000 scholarship winner is Heather Androwick of West Chester, Pennsylvania.
Heather has started her senior year, working toward her Bachelor of Fine Arts with a major concentration in photography, at Kutztown University in Kutztown, Pennsylvania. She has taken courses in Darkroom, Intro to Digital Media, Intro to Digital Photography, Theme Practices in Photography, History of Photography, Advanced Photography and Photography Studio. Heather’s particular interest is landscape photography, and she has applied for internships with state and national parks.